Confinement Food Recipe for New Mummy in Singapore
For many women, pregnant is one of the most important moments for life. From pregnancy to labor, a woman requires great diet to develop the fetus. Following birth, the Chinese think that there will be massive physical transform in a woman’s body.
A woman will displace plenty of her stamina and overuse her physical power after giving birth and there is a necessity to recover.
Confinement has emerged as a tradition that has ingrained in Chinese society. The Chinese believe confinement meal is important for woman in order to nourish the body and help to recover and at the same time to boost milk supply for the baby.
What Are the Purposes of Chinese Confinement?
1. To allow postpartum mom to fully rest and bond with the baby
2. As the reproductive organs are undergoing some changes after giving birth, confinement allows recovery
3. The confinement food menu also tailored to help accelerate the mother’s recovery from her “weakened” body. This special diet is made up of confinement foods targeted towards specific functions like dispelling “wind” from the body, quelling heatiness, boosting blood circulation, increase mom’s milk supply, revitalizing strength, etc.
4. To prevent postnatal hair loss, backaches, rheumatism, premature again, and other ailments associated with post-delivery.
How Long is the Confinement Period?
Confinement period usually is done for 30 days.
What to do with Confinement?
The postpartum mom usually does not do the cooking during the confinement period. Many women have either their mom or mom-in-law to help them out during the confinement period.
It is common as well to hire a “confinement lady”. The confinement lady will cook, take care of the baby, take care of the mom, and help you transition into motherhood with your baby. Nowadays, it is more convenient to get necessary food ingredients to prepare nutrition confinement meals through grocery online.
At Grolossal, there are many ingredient choices where you can purchase quality food under one roof such as Chinese herbs, Chinese cooking wine and pure Sesame oil. These are the essential ingredients often present in the confinement food in Singapore.
Recipe for Confinement Food
We had prepared 2 confinement food recipe that you can prepared on own easily.
Follow our cooking instruction below and you will be having a healthy confinement meal for all the new mummy.
1) DRUNKEN CHICKEN SOUP
- About 2 1/2 to 3 lbs of whole chicke
- 4 Tbsp of good quality sesame oil
- 6 of 4-inch ginger slices
- 3 cups of Shao xing wine
- 4 cups of water
- Pinch of salt and sugar
- Remove any extra fat from the chicken and its cavity. Leave the skin on and cut the chicken into bite-size pieces (with bones). You most likely need a cleaver to get this job done. If you are not a fan of chopping chicken with its bone, you can use boneless chicken thighs/breast or whatever you prefer or leg quarters
- Heat a large pot or wok until really hot. Add in the sesame oil. Add in the ginger slices and stir fry until really fragrant, about 1 minute. Add in the chicken pieces and stir-fry until the chicken turn opaque, about 5 minutes or so. Splash in the wine. Bring it to boiling state and then lower the heat to let it simmer for about 10 minutes (if you are concern about alcohol content, the alcohol will be cooked off during this period). Add in 5 cup of water, salt and sugar and then bring it back to the boiling state and then lower the heat to let it simmer for the next 1 hour or until the meat is cooked through and tender. Have a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
The 4 cups of water may be substitute with cooking wine if you want more wine in the recipe, for example when you are preparing this for "confinement". Try to get at least 8 years and above Chinese cooking wine to make the food taste better.
2) FISH MAW SNOW FUNGUS SOUP
Fish maw snow fungus soup is commonly found prepared at Chinese home kitchen and considered a delicacy. Typically used in soup, stew, and braised dishes. Here, we have top grade fish maw and white fungus which uses by Chef in the F&B industry.
- 1-2 large dried fried fish maw - soaked in hot water until soft - about 20-30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp of cooking oil
- 1-inch of fresh ginger - peeled and minced
- 1 clove of garlic - minced
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 3 shitake mushrooms - soaked in warm water until plump and sliced
- 10 meat balls or you can use 2 chicken thighs - cut into medium size pieces
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Recommended Chinese herbs:
- 1 large white snow fungus - soaked in water until plump and cut into smaller pieces
- 4-5 Chinese red dates
- 1-2 Jujube
- 3-4 Chinese yam – ‘huai shan’ 淮山
- 1/4 cup lotus seeds
- 1/4 cup barley
Cooking on stove top:
- Preheat a large pot over high heat. Add the cooking oil. Add garlic and ginger and saute until they are fragrant. Add in the mushrooms and chicken pieces (if used) and continue to saute until fragrant and turn opaque in color
- Add the chicken stock and the rest of the Chinese herbs (if using) and bring to boil. Lower the heat to let it gently simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the fish maw and meatballs (if using) and lower to heat to let it cook for another 10 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the fish maw or they will be all mushy. Season with salt to your taste
You can start preparing a delicious and healthy confinement food with our recipe at your convenience by doing the tedious grocery shopping online from home. For more information, do visit our website at www.grolossal.com for more varieties.